Our specialist ecology services include:
Assessment of effects | Environmental monitoring | Stream & wetland classification | Stream, riparian and wetland restoration | Integrated catchment management | Strategic environmental expertise | Cultural health surveys | Spill response & remediation | Expert representation
Assessment of Effects
Effects assessments are our bread and butter at EcoLogical Solutions.
With extensive experience at developing and implementing plans to obtain resource consents for a wide range of industries and activities in environments that range from highly modified to highly sensitive, we can help you with:
- Water abstraction and use
- Treated wastewater discharge
- Stormwater discharge
- Damming and diversion of watercourses
- Land development
- Stream and wetland restoration (see more on this below).
Environmental Compliance Monitoring
We specialise in implementing environmental monitoring programmes that not only meet the requirements of regulatory authorities but maximise the benefits to resource consent holders.
We can help with:
- Water and sediment quality surveys
- Aquatic plant surveys
- Instream habitat surveys
- Benthic invertebrate surveys
- Terrestrial plant, habitat, and fauna surveys
- Freshwater native, exotic, and sports fish surveys
- Recreational use surveys
Stream and Wetland Classification
With the spotlight on stream and wetland protection, it is important to identify any freshwater habitats within your site early in a project.
We are experts in classifying and mapping streams in accordance with regional plan criteria and wetlands in accordance with RMA and National Policy Statement definitions.
Stream, Riparian and Wetland Restoration
With the rehabilitation of NZ’s biodiversity on the rise, we’ve been part of a number of exciting restoration projects.
As a result, we can advise you on the principles and practices of effective restoration through the following activities:
- Freshwater and terrestrial restoration plans
- Consent acquisition and monitoring
- Stream ecological valuations
- Fish barrier remediation
- Pest and native fish management
- Native fish relocation
- Terrestrial fauna relocation
- Planting plan preparation and post-planting audits
Integrated Catchment Management
Having worked on a diverse range of projects across NZ and Europe, we are experts at developing integrated catchment management plans.
We can help your business develop sustainable plans for urban and rural waterways throughout New Zealand. Our catchment management services include:
- Developing management plans for urban catchments
- Nutrient assessment and management in waterways
- Land use and land management effects assessments
- Providing expert assessment of ecological values and ecological management
- Defining and managing nutrient sensitive zones
Strategic Environmental Expertise
We want to understand your specific needs so that we can tailor our comprehensive expertise accordingly.
Our goal is to help your projects succeed whilst meeting their environmental obligations, on time, and on budget.
Working together, we can:
- Develop and implement effective resource consent strategies that minimise risks to project timelines and budgets
- Form and manage project teams as needed
- Develop and implement effective project communication strategies
- Engage stakeholders and members of the public as required
- Secure the consent conditions that are practical and manageable for your organisation
- Evolve our services to your changing needs
Cultural Health Surveys
Industry have recognised the importance of working alongside iwi stakeholders to monitor their effects using Mātauranga Māori.
We have worked with key clients and iwi stakeholders to develop and implement stream ecology and water quality assessments using Mātauranga Māori and applying the Cultural Health Index (CHI) methodology.
Spill Response & Remediation
The way that an organisation responds to spills can have significant impacts on the severity of environmental effects.
We act as quick-response freshwater specialists that can:
- Rapidly assess effects and potential interventions
- Quantify and assess the sources of contamination, its pathways and receptors
- Prepare remediation plans
- Prepare monitoring plans
Our ecology services include expert representation at hearings, caucusing and the Environment Court.
Richard Montgomerie and Gary Bramley have prepared and presented evidence at many hearings and are adept at presenting expert evidence in a manner that is readily understood by a non technical audience.